What is Stretch Therapy?
Stretch therapy encompasses a wide range of techniques, including foam rolling, massage, myofascial release, and active range of motion movements, in addition to traditional passive stretches.
This type of therapy is the scientific application of these techniques to treat certain physical problems associated with tight muscles and restricted joints. When performed properly, stretch therapy can help prevent injuries and improve performance.
While you’re likely familiar with some of the techniques used, the proper application of stretching for maximum benefit requires more than idly reaching for your toes before hitting the treadmill.
Some of the benefits of assisted Stretch Therapy include:
- Easing pain associated with tightness and tension
- Improving range of motion, flexibility, mobility, and strength
- Improving posture, physical appearance, and self-esteem
- Counteract the effects of aging
- Increasing overall fitness and athletic performance
- Reducing the risk of injury
- Encouraging relaxation and relieving stress
- Increasing circulation and blood flow to the muscles, surrounding tissues, and joints
With a little bit of education, you’ll be more than prepared to effectively incorporate stretch therapy techniques into your training program.